Position Filled: CCFA Labour Relations Advisor: One-Year Term (w/ possibility of renewal) | 60% FTE Part-Time
The Camosun College Faculty Association (CCFA) is hiring a Labour Relations Advisor (LRA). The successful applicant for our newly created Labour Relations Advisor position will help our faculty association to represent the voices of over 600 continuing and term members employed at Camosun College. Applicants should be passionate about solidarity, Union principles, and supporting workers’ legal and employment rights under collective agreements and have a focus on improving union-employer labour relations.
The Camosun College Faculty Association serves its members while residing on the traditional and unceded territories of the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Esquimalt and Songhees) and W̱SÁNEĆ (Pauquachin, Tsartlip, Tsawout, Tseycum) peoples. We express our profound gratitude to our traditional hosts’ welcome and tolerance of our uninvited presence while we strive to dismantle our colonial, patriarchal, and racist cultural biases.
The deadline for applications is February 24, 2022. Qualified applicants should expect to be contacted no later than February 28 to schedule their interview on either the afternoon of March 2 or throughout the day on March 7. We cannot guarantee interview availability in advance but welcome you to inform us of your scheduling limitations and date preference between these two options. All interviews will be conducted by video conference.
The successful applicant may choose to begin immediately upon accepting our offer; or at another agreed-upon date, preferably as soon as possible.
Compensation & Hours of Work
This part-time position will be paid at a rate of sixty dollars ($60.00) per hour and receive an amount in lieu of benefits consistent with appendix “C” and Article 8.03(b) of the CUPE 1004 Collective Agreement (copy provided to qualified applicants in their pre-interview communication). The rate of pay for this position will be adjusted annually, in a manner that is consistent with the Collective Agreement. At 60% FTE, an initial work schedule of 3 days per week is typical, however daily hours and days of the week are negotiable. When applicable, we reimburse the costs of annual membership in the Law Society of BC during the term of employment.
The CCFA offices at Camosun College are open and the successful applicant for this position will carry out their duties in a variety of in-office, blended, and remote environments across both our Lansdowne and Interurban campuses. It is possible that the successful applicant would need to occasionally travel outside the Greater Victoria region to perform their duties; and if so, their expenses will be reimbursed as per college policy. At the moment, in-person interactions are minimized to the greatest extent possible to protect vulnerable members of our community and their families. Questions about our work-from-home arrangements are welcome, as these vary depending on the portfolio of your assigned work, suitability of your working environment, as well as external factors such as the continued state of the pandemic.
The Camosun College Faculty Association (CCFA) is certified as the legal bargaining unit for the majority of faculty at Camosun College. We are a union under the jurisdiction of the Labour Relations Code [RSBC 1996] Chapter 244. Our chief responsibilities are to negotiate a collective agreement with our employer, administer that agreement, and protect members’ rights under the agreement. As a union in the BC College system, we are also a member of the Federation of Post Secondary Educators (FPSE). Under the direction of the CCFA President and the Contract Management Committee Chair the CCFA Labour Relations Advisor will:
- Aid, support and provide information to the Contract Management Committee (CMC);
- Aid, support and provide information to the Contract Negotiations Committee (CNC);
- Assist and interact with individual case leaders at all stages of various dispute resolution processes, negotiations, and meetings;
- Represent CCFA members at grievance meetings, as needed;
- Provide legal research, analysis and information;
- Draft, review and edit grievance, mediation, and arbitration documents;
- Draft educational communications to CCFA members, in collaboration with and under the supervision of CMC;
- Aid, support, and promote CCFA strategic goals in labour relations and member education;
- Keep updated on current union, employer, and employee labour relations issues;
- Review, analyze and organize union labour relations documents and information;
- Participate in records management;
- Use collaboration and communication software;
- Attend regular and ad-hoc meetings, as needed;
- Work collaboratively with union administrative personnel; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Education and Skills
- law degree and membership in the Law Society of BC, or eligibility to register
- labour relations experience (2 + years)
- labour relations experience in post-secondary preferred
- experience with and knowledge of the BC Human Rights Code
- experience working with insurance and benefit issues
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should send a letter of application and their Curriculum Vitae to ac.ytlucafnusomac@tnediserp. Upon receiving your email application, applicants will receive an acknowledgement email which includes a copy of the CUPE 1004 Collective Agreement and additional information about participating in our interview process.