MAKING IT FAIR FOR CONTRACT ACADEMIC STAFF
October 17-21 is Fair Employment Week, the Canadian Association of University Teachers’ annual campaign to raise awareness about precarious employment on campuses and support local organizing to improve the working conditions of contract academic staff. For us here at Camosun College that’s our many Term, Contract, Casual and Substitute Faculty Members. Show your support by joining us at these Fair Employment Week activities! Here’s how you can join us in celebrating their contributions to our College!
- All Week, October 17-21! – Continuing Faculty members can show their appreciation for their Term colleagues by registering for our “Take your Term Colleagues to Coffee on the CCFA” thank you campaign. Also contact us if you’re a brand new Member of the Camosun College Faculty Association we’d love to welcome you with a coffee card, too!
- Tuesday, October 18 – Take a Stand for Fairness Letter Writing Campaign, I’ll provide you with a template and encourage you all to submit it to your Deans, Directors, CC our President, EdCo, and Board of Governors.
- Wednesday, October 19 – Keynote Address by Richard Bradbury: In the latest round of bargaining at Open University in the UK, contract lecturers won permanent contracts. Hear from Richard Bradbury – a member of the negotiating team – about how they won this historic victory. Register here: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwtfu2orTIpE9fiQWQhbSEPm6sNECholYqz
- Wednesday, October 19 – Social Media Day of Action: Follow the CCFA Instagram Account & use the hashtag #makeitfair to share your own story of precarious work and the challenges of achieving regularization or rights of first refusal.
- Thursday, October 20 – Tag your selfie #makeitfair during the ShakeOut @ 10:20 AM, Did you know many contract, term, and sessional staff don’t have a desk of their own? When they are lucky, they have the opportunity to use “flex desks” or “hotel”, but most don’t! Remember to “Drop, Cover, & Hold On!” for one minute, but while you’re down there snap a selfie & tag it #shakeout & #make it fair, especially if your desk or office situation is particularly comical, as Term Faculty’s often are!
- Friday, October 21 – A Zoom social for contract academic staff: Contract academic staff from coast to coast are invited to an informal Zoom social to talk about the unique issues of CAS, discuss strategies to improve working conditions and join together in celebration of the work and contributions CAS make to our universities and colleges. Register for the Zoom Social here: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMrd-6sqDwiH9fscm0DcjMY5riwYLkAmNqc. You’ll see me there, too!
Want to learn more?
OUT OF THE SHADOWS: EXPERIENCES OF CAS
The report presents findings from a national survey of contract academic teaching staff at Canadian post-secondary institutions.
PRO RATA MODEL
The Pro Rata Model ensures contract teachers receive fair compensation for all of their academic work. This pamphlet can be printed double-sided and handed out at your Fair Employment Week events.
Have more ideas about how we can show our Term Colleagues our appreciation? Put it in the comments below!
Lynelle Yutani (she/her/they)
President, Camosun College Faculty Association
Lynelle is a leftist rabble-rouser galvanized to guard the rights of union members and is on a crusade to convince you that you get out of your Union what you put into it. Lynelle serves on the FPSE International Solidarity Fund Committee, 2022-23 Resolutions Subcommittee, 2022-23 Budget Committee, and on the 2022-23 Ad-Hoc Presidents Council Committees for Shared Governance and Organizing. This year, she will also serve on FPSE affiliate committees for CAUT, the BC Fed, and the Canadian Labour Congress.
Send Us YOUR Content for the Confluence Blog!