We know members have been waiting patiently for the Lifestyle and Wellness Spending Account (LWSA): a one-time $250 fund every eligible CCFA member can access to reimburse purchases that improve their physical and mental health.
We’re as frustrated as you are that it has taken this long to set up. We are sorry to report that the process is less-than-seamless, but we want every single member to access this fund, so buckle up and take heed.
What purchases are eligible for the fund?
The LWSA can be used to reimburse anything that contributes to the mental or physical wellness of a CCFA member as agreed by the Union and the Employer. Remember: all purchases will require receipts and any claimed expenses must be for the CCFA member; dependents are not eligible for this fund. Here’s what we’ve already agreed to:
- Membership and/or admission to fitness facilities;
- Textbooks and/or related media on health and/or wellness-related topics;
- Smoking cessation, weight loss, or addictions programs;
- Classes/courses for health/wellness enhancement or personal or professional development;
- Fitness Instruction/ Personal Trainers;
- Admission fees for races and fitness activities;
- Fitness trackers and app subscriptions, such as Fitbit or MyFitnessPal, and other technology;
- Consultation session(s) with a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionist; Meditation/Mindfulness classes or programs;
- Active wear and sports equipment;
- Artistic and Cultural activities, courses, and supplies; and
- For other lifestyle or wellness purposes, as agreed by the Employer and Union.
How much is the fund and who is eligible?
In order to qualify, you need to have been employed by the College on the date of ratification: September 21, 2023. This includes term faculty and members on leave. If you became an employee after Sept 21, 2023, you are unfortunately not eligible for this benefit. ONLY eligible CCFA members can access this fund: expenses incurred by dependents are not eligible for reimbursement.
The total value of the LWSA is $152,119. Each eligible member will be entitled to receive up to $250 before August 31, 2024. Any remaining funds in the overall pool on this date will be reapportioned, allowing members to make additional claims up to the reapportioned amount, but no more than a total sum of $375.
Employees must submit receipts in the fiscal year the expense was incurred to be reimbursed. The end of the current fiscal year is March 31, 2024. That is, if you want to claim an expense made before April 1, 2024, you must submit the claim before April 1, 2024. Any claims submitted after April 1, 2024 must be for expenses incurred after that date.
If you do not have a Manulife account (most likely because you are a term faculty member), you will need to contact Manulife to set up an account. Use their General Inquiry line: 1-800-268-6195 (8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST, Mon. to Fri.).
How do I access the LWSA?
The claims process has three parts:
- Submit a claim through the Plan Member Website or the Manulife App
- Upload a scanned or pdf copy of your receipts or invoices to the Manulife website
- Complete and upload a Taxable Spending Account (TSA) Claim Form to the Manulife website.
1. Submit a claim
Log on to Plan Member Website or the Manulife App and submit a claim like you would any Health or Dental Claim.
Select the option to be reimbursed from “My Health Care Spending Account Only”
In the service provider drop-down menu, select “Service Not Listed”:
Enter the details of your purchase (date of sale or service and total charges):
2. Upload your receipts
Click the “Attach” button to upload your receipts or invoices in pdf or image (jpg, png, gif, tiff, etc.) format. If you only have paper copies, you can scan them or take a photo with your phone. Include receipts for all purchases or services claimed. The TSA Claim form asks for original receipts and invoices, but Manulife has indicated it will accept scanned copies.
3. Upload a TSA Claim Form
You can access a Taxable Spending Account (TSA) Claim Form with the correct policy number for CCFA members already entered here. You only need to fill out the fields that have been highlighted in red:
- Policy Number (142464, already entered in linked document)
- Member Number (Your Camosun C# without the first 0, also located on your Benefits card)
- Full Name
- Total amount claimed (i.e. the sum total of the receipts, not the $250 you’re eligible for)
- Signature and date (to avoid headaches, you can sign this digitally–see instructions here–but typing your name may suffice)
You can find a clean version of this form under the ‘Forms’ tab. Look for the heading ‘Claim forms’ and the option ‘Find a form’. Select “TSA Claims Form.”
Once you have uploaded all your documents, Manulife should adjudicate the claim promptly. If your claim is denied unjustly, please contact the CCFA immediately at ac.ytlucafnusomac@gniniagrab.